Monday, October 15, 2007

Japan

Well we've arrived back from Japan. Got back on friday and its taken until now to feel vaguely human again. Jet lag was severe - its a 13 hour time difference.
We had a fantastic time. If my PC wasn't broken I could post some photographs but alas, the only 2 year old computer needs a new motherboard. This sounds incredibly technical and expensive to me, but luckily we are still in Warranty.

The Japanese wedding was amazing and an experience I will never forget, especially when the whole wedding party ended up in our own private Karaoke room! It was great to forget about everything and really let my hair down, not literally as the Japanese hairstylist did a lovely job of putting it up.

The food on the whole was fine.....for me. The less said about Davids vegetarian experience, the better. Needless to say, he's actually been a vegetarian for about a week, not 14 years as first thought. I existed on rice and fish - oh and some chicken elbows one night but they weren't the best! Probably did wonders for my Omega levels but I was paranoid about fiber as there's only so much white rice you can eat. So I've been stuffing myself with the stuff since being back: beans, fruit and veg and loads of brown rice.

I must just mention a couple of vegetarian 'moments':

- 'tofu and cheese' - came with a sausage underneath
- 'vegetable lasagna' - (in a british pub no less), had beef.
- he was halfway through a salad once when he was brought a substitute salad "without fish"!

A couple of fantastic food moments though:
A restaurant serving nothing but tofu done many different ways, although the highlight of the plate was a big bowl of.....tofu!
Just tofu, in all its white slimy glory. Oh and actual soy milk - without the sweeteners we get here. Couldn't quite stomach that.

Also, the vegetarian wedding breakfast was a feast like I've never seen. Food just kept coming and coming.
David was in his element. I hadn't ordered one, but I was happy with my whole dried fish and octopus!

It was just very hard work being a tourist there and not speaking the language as you have to just point to a picture and eat what you're given. The rice for breakfast thing in the hotels was a bit hard to swallow, too. Along with miso soup, some kind of meat and fish casserole and tofu at 8am was not exactly tempting.

So, its back to Oatmeal and flax seeds in the morning. I even found some high fiber gluten free/wheat free/dairy free bread in whole foods the other day AND its actually do-able. I have previously had a couple of failed experiments into making my own wheat free bread so gave that up very quickly, and have bought a couple of loaves before (aka bricks) but this is by far the best one I have tried. I have only had it as toast and as an open sandwhich with both mashed banana and a pre-made tofu salad (not at the same time). Its called ENERG High fiber loaf.

No comments: