Monday, August 6, 2007

Fresh fruit and veggies


This weekend saw the first ever organic farm delivery to the Baker household. I had been meaning to try this for some time. My reluctance has been because I didn't want to withdrawl my reliance on my ever so handy organic shop that is literally 3 blocks away. However, I have recently been getting very fed up with their lack of variety and local produce. Their stuff comes from california, argentina, chile, new zealand. I'm not sure why when there is plenty of great local produce. Anyway, the produce I picked up on Saturday morning was divine. You order online and then have to go and pick it up from someones house where its kept in a shed to the side of the house. It really feels like trespassing but the box was there and the order exactly as requested. I didn't get too much just incase but I have to say I am very impressed. Big bunches of fresh herbs, sweet juicy peaches, lettuce, cucumbers. I also had some new potatoes so decided to create a potato salad for our lunch.

New potato salad - Serves 2

4-6 new potatoes
baby spinach or lettuce leaves
4 or 5 radishes
half a red pepper
Dressing
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard

Boil potatoes until tender - about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile assemble the salad using all ingredients apart from the fresh herbs.
Make dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl. When potatoes are cooked leave them to cool. When they are cool, add them to the bowl with the dressing. Spoon the potatoes onto the salad.

No comments: