Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mexican Food

Both David and I love going for Mexican food. However it always seems to be full of wheat and dairy and it is often difficult to find something on the menu. I used to love enchiladas and burritos slapped with loads of cheese and dollops of sour cream. So, I thought I would try to make my own version of Chillies Rellenos. These are basically stuffed green peppers (stuffed with cheese I might add), then they are fried in polenta I think and served with lots of cheese, sour cream, guacamole and refried beans. David gets them every time he is in a Mexican restaurant as a viable vegetarian option.

My 'endo' version involves the peppers being roasted, then stuffed with a rice mixture, and served with Organic Guacamole, organic refried beans, and tofutti sour cream (yes, its true, and it tastes great!). Now, there is a lot of controversy about Soy generally and about Soy for endometriosis. Read more at endo-resolved, personally I have come to the conclusion that in moderation it is OK. Again, I have no medical training to base this on but I think as long as you're not eating it every day then a bit now and again is OK. Also David has high cholesterol so the Tofutti sour cream is an excellent choice for him.

I have called this recipe 'Chillies RallEndo'.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures for any of my recipes yet but I am always half way through the meal when I remember I should be taking pictures. So, I promise I will make more of an effort. Keep checking back. They promise to be good pictures. David is a photographer so I've absolutely no excuses really.

As an aside whilst on the subject of Mexican food - you can even buy Rice flour Tortillas now for those chimichanga or burrito cravings.


Chillies RallEndo

Serves 2

4 large green poblano peppers
1/2 cup of rice - or 1 cup if you want leftovers for lunch
1 onion - chopped (I used red because it was all I had but I think yellow would be better)
1 green or yellow zuchinni
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cloves of garlic - chopped

To serve
Amy's organic refried beans
Toffuti Sour Cream
Organic Guacamole
Organic Salsa - a jar is fine

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut off the end of the pepper and deseed so you have a hollow cavity in each one for the filling later. Roast the peppers with a drizzling of olive oil until they are soft - They take about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile boil the rice. You need twice as much water to rice. Add the rice and water to a pan, bring to boil then let simmer over a low heat, covered, until all the water is absorbed.

Fry the onion, zuchinni, garlic in some olive oil until soft. Then add the spices and continue cooking another minute. Add the vegetable mixture to the rice.
Remove the peppers from the oven and leave to cool enough so they can be handled.
While they are cooling, warm up the refried beans in a pan over a moderate heat.
Take teaspoons of the rice mixture and fill the peppers. Serve with dollops of guacamole, sour cream, salsa and refried beans.

Take the leftover rice mixture for lunch the next day.

No comments: