Monday, September 24, 2007

Sweet Cravings - Guilt free cookies

There's nothing better than sitting down with a nice bar of chocolate and a glass of red wine during my period. A girly movie normally helps too. However, I have been trying to find some healthier alternatives to that sweet craving which don't leave me feeling guilty for polishing off a bar of fruit and nut. I think I have found an answer on the back of a packet of Quinoa flakes.

This recipe is for Crispy Quinoa cookies.
The quinoa flakes themselves are also used for hot cereal - don't do this - they are not pleasant. Oatmeal is a million times better.

The recipe for the cookies is:


1/2 cup Honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup quinoa flakes
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

I usually leave out the brown sugar and replace honey with maple syrup. I find that this is sweet enough. I also sometimes leave out the peanut butter. I would sugget experimenting to see what works best for you.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat honey, sugar, margarine, peanut butter and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy. Combine rice flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to mixture and beat until well blended. If desired add nuts. Drop rounded teaspoonfulls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light and golden brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Yields about 3 dozen cookies.


It says here to put on an ungreased baking sheet but I find a greased one or some greaseproof paper works best.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, suggest that you can add avocado to your diet. That's what I hv for breakfast. I will usually have a kiwi and peel apple/ornge, follow by an avocado. The healthy fats in it keep me full and satisfied and happy.

Further, organic eggs can be added too.

HTH!

Caron said...

thanks, will certainly try