Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mochi

I have discovered a great thing today. Mochi. I keep saying it in my head. "Mochi Mochi Mochi". Where have you been all my life, oh lovely gluten free thing that you are.
So, what is this wonder food? The best thing is to check it out on www.grainaissance.com/mochi.html for all the information.

I foresee a world of exciting possibilities with this food. I bought the sweet one by mistake and decided to try to cook it just to see what it was like. You cut the slab into about 1 inch pieces and bake. They puff up like little profiteroles and have an amazing texture when you bite into them. I had many ideas for these little puff balls. They are not that sweet on their own but imagine with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey and some dairy free ice cream or yoghurt. Oh yes!

My trip to the store this morning was prompted by me being very hungry and opening the fridge to find nothing remotely edible for lunch. There were no leftovers as we ate out last night with friends before going to see the new Harry Potter. We had asian food which I love and is so easy for an endo diet - lots of rice and not a sandwich or bowl of pasta in sight (just beware of egg noodles - I usually go for the rice noodle dishes).

Anyway for lunch I decided on a baked potato with something - didn't know what. However every potato in the organic shop was seeded - not the most appetizing - should have probably mentioned it to them, but just abandoned idea of baked potato. Ended up with mochi and a tub of hummous. Quite what I thought I could do with that I've no idea. In the end I decided on another Quinoa salad with some cucumber and cilantro that were already in the fridge so. While the quinoa was cooking I added some frozen sweetcorn. Dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and mustard. Be careful with mustard - depending on how committed you are about the wheat free as it does contain some. Anyway the dish was actually quite tasty and I even have leftovers.

No comments: